Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Silence Is Broken

Hello world! :)


Perhaps the world doesn't need another collection of electronic noise in the form of a blog from a middle-aged white male. But I'm so pleased that - at least for now - the government hasn't clamped down on my freedom of expression. I plan to make the best of the opportunities that are in front of me, which is something I am proud to say I have done throughout my relatively short lifetime.


So - who am I? The answer to this question will be worth $300.00 worth of psychological visits. Not only am I writing a blog, I'm preserving my own mental health.


Stats, Birthplace and Education
I am a 45 year old man, half 3rd generation Italian (father) and half 4th generation German Dutch (mother). I have a shaved head (was blonde) and blue eyes, 6'2" tall and weigh much more than I should. I am politically conservative and personally liberal (a contradiction that I will explain in detail another time).

I was born and raised in St. Bernard, a small city about 6 miles north of the Ohio River right up Interstate 75 made somewhat famous by "Ivorydale", the huge Proctor and Gamble soap plant where Ivory Soap was produced for the masses. I was sent to public schools through 3rd grade, then transfered to a private Catholic grade school from 4th grade on thanks to the grace and financial fortitude of my parents (mostly my mother, but more about that later). After graduating from Roger Bacon High School in 1982, I entered the Southern Ohio School of Broadcasting. Unfortunately, both time and money prevented me from finishing my associates degree program, so it was off into the working world I went.

Working Stiff
My employment record shows either incredible loyalty, or incredible stupidity. During my senior year in high school and first year through college, I worked at United Dairy Farmers - first in St. Bernard, then in Roselawn. I transfered from convenience store clerk to auto parts gofer, first working at J & R Automotive in Bond Hill, then Santo's Auto Service in Wyoming. It was at this time that I discovered a trait inside of me that I've drawn on throughout the rest of my life - my ability to adapt, change, accept a challenge and succeed. At Santo's I started as a general laborer, assistant and cleanup person. Over a short period of time I learned how to do simple repair work - oil changes and tune-ups - then more advanced repair duties. Then after running a 67' Jaguar E Type convertible through the front window of the repair facility, I found myself a new position (within the same company believe it or not - thank you Tony!) as parts manager. Over the next 6 years I would create a spare parts facility complete with a computerized inventory system (Mac's Rule!), and by the time I left in the spring of 1990 Tony had turned his little two bay gas station into a 6 bay master repair facility.

Fast forward 9 months to August of 1991. Fresh off the road from giving a music career a shot (more on this later), I landed a job at a manufacturing facility in Sharonville as a "stock clerk". Over the next 18 years, I would survive 17 managers, 10 promotions, 6 downsizings, 2 ownership groups and 2 locations. I still work for that company, and by the grace of God I still will by the end of the year.

Next up - Music Music Music...

No comments:

Post a Comment